Thursday, May 31, 2007

June Writers' Picnic

Is that title right? I'm not sure. Does the picnic belong to the writers? Maybe. Would the picnic exist if the writers did not will it into existence? Who knows? I never know where things come from. They just show up and I smile and say, Good morning. Would you like a cup of coffee? Maybe you prefer tea. Regardless, the winds of creation have blown over the waters and a light has shown, and it was good, and the June Writers' Picnic is now set for: Friday, June 22nd, at 11:30 a.m., at the Nature Center picnic area at Potato Creek. More details will be forthcoming, but the gist of the story is: I'll bring paper products and charcoal and some food to share. You bring some stuff to share, too. Food is good, but writers do not live on bread alone, but words... Definitely bring words, even if you don't bring food. The words do not have to be captured on pieces of paper. You can just carry them around in your mouth and spit them out when the time comes, as you see fit. You may, however, bring captured words if you wish. What else may you bring? Other writers, loved ones, small living things. Also, it would probably be a good idea to wear comfortable hiking/walking shoes. So, to sum up: food, friends, words, comfortable shoes. That pretty much does it, but if it doesn't, I know you will tell me... I have a feeling Talia is going to say something about sunblock.

4 comments:

Talia Reed said...

Sunblock is good. And bug spray...you never when the bugs will be out. I'll bring my camera too.

J. R. Leuthold said...

I'll be there, at least for a little while. I may not be in school, but damn am I busy!

I had to pick up that day at work in order to get another day off for something. I'll certainly be there though.

David Dodd Lee said...

okay, that sounds good. so you
appear to really dig Jack Gilbert's work, is that the case?

Charmi said...

Gilbert seems bigger than Garren, somehow. He does look at things from a certain angle, though. I liked Among the Monarchs better than The Piercing. I'm reading The Great Fires now. Refusing Heaven is next. I can occasionally feel Gilbert's influence in your poems as I'm reading along. Works by Siken and Bidart are on their way.