Friday, April 04, 2008

Dissemination

I wasn't particularly looking for a poem this morning, more like a cup of coffee and some clean jeans, but this man says he wants to be my friend on Goodreads: Hugh Behm-Steinberg. Since he already has 475 friends I'm sure he's running fast and loose with the term, but that's okay. I googled him to see if he's written anything good, anything worth adding him to my Goodreads list.

There's a couple of tactics of reproduction, but I never can remember their names. One idea is that you spread a million seeds and hope something sprouts. The other idea is you jealously guard a couple plants and do everything you can to make sure they do well. I've always been more of a No. 2 producer, with some sprinkling of No. 1. I guess in the writing world you have to be a bit of both if you want your work read. Still...

3 comments:

Talia Reed said...

Interesting post, Charmi. I think I'm No. 2. At least while I have the energy and only until I burn out.

Charmi said...

Yeah, you're probably more No. 2, but you do better at No. 1 than I do. I understand the importance of networking, but sometimes it just feels so slimy to me. On the other hand, I want to read more and see more...

And I see you added Hugh also.

Talia Reed said...

Sure. I'd like to see what Hugh reads. I agree with you, though that all of that friend requesting seems a bit ridiculous. Some kind of internet culture that I've just not understood. And as far as "networking" goes, I'm terrible at it in real life. Way too shy.