Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Winter is Winter

Alaska is beautiful and we're missing home. Winter is winter, no matter how you parse it, and I'm just not a winter woman. But I'm vowing to come back when the weather is more my style.

The other really hard adjustment for me has been the four-hour time difference. I've been up at 3:00 a.m. every morning and crashing by 7:00 p.m.

Fun things, though:

Anchorage has Paris beat hands down as the city for dogs. There are friendly dogs everywhere in this dog friendly town.

Along those same lines, Anchorage has fabulous parks with miles and miles of paved and lit trails. Everyone is out with their dogs. We saw a fox carrying his dinner last night at Kincaid Park -- something small and white-- which is also a tramping place for the moose who have eluded us. This is probably for the best. My life will be complete once I've seen a moose in the wild, so I pretty much expect to be struck dead when that happens.

Home tomorrow. Woo-hoo.

6 comments:

Doug P. Baker said...

I'm afraid you won't come home to warmth! Indian summer died with a vengeance the night before last, so you will just come back to winter-less-lovely than what you are seeing now.

But welcome home anyway!

Charmi said...

Dang it, I've heard rumors to that effect. I want you Indiana folks to get your acts together and warm things up! ;-) I am not ready for this sort of thing!

Doug P. Baker said...

Nor am I! I walk for a living and I haven't bought this year's long underwear yet.

Charmi said...

I almost bought long underwear, but I settled for warm hats for the entire family instead. I will say, after watching all the consumate walker/hikers up here, I will be much more diligent about getting out in the snow at home.

Rachel said...

Charmi, I personally am trying to emit as much carbon as possible in an attempt to warm Indiana up. It doesn't seem to be working. I'm spreading the word...let's start a coalition!

Charmi said...

I'm glad you're working on this, Rachel. You've got 36 hours to warm things up for me ;-)