Thursday, November 06, 2008

First Looks - Cedar Waxwings & Magpies

I made it to Alaska safe and sound, but I'm not going to get to see too much until this weekend. Gene is working, I'm working...

But I did walk around the parking lot. I didn't bring my bird book, but I believe the trees are full of cedar waxwings. They're as numerous here as the cardinals I have on my bird feeder at home.

I also saw a magpie, but my gloved hands (cold, cold, cold) weren't quick enough to get a good picture of it. It had fun getting me to chase it around, though. Maybe tomorrow I can sneak up on it. I've never seen a magpie at home, that I can recall.

After I spent some time chasing the birds I turned around and realized I had my back to some wonderful snow-capped mountains. I'm always looking the wrong way.

4 comments:

maeve63 said...

I've seen a Cedar Waxwing once. It was on the IUSB campus; the east entrance of the Admin bldg. They're very pretty birds. I don't think I've ever seen a MagPie

Jennifer said...

We get gaggles of waxwings at our house. They're so beautiful and classic looking. We discovered they like our hackberry trees, which we have all over. When I had my garage sale they were flitting all around us and even landing mere feet from us.

Louise Mathias said...

have a wonderful time Charmi. I'm so envious...a place i've always wanted to go

Charmi said...

Terri - I have to find out more about the magpies.

Jennifer -- Now I must have a hackberry tree!

Louise - Yep, you must try to make your way to Alaska. Hopefully over the weekend I'll have some good pics to post.