Tuesday, September 02, 2008

God/Good Stuff

The Truth About God

God's Christ Theory

Anne Carson

God had no emotions but wished temporarily
to move in man's mind
as if He did: Christ.

Not passion but compassion.
Com--means "with."
What kind of withness would that be?

Translate it.
I have a friend named Jesus
from Mexico.

His father and grandfather are called Jesus too.
They account me a fool with my questions about salvation.
They say they are saving to move to Los Angeles.

(Glass, Irony and God, New Directions Publishing Corporation, 1995.)

*
I was having a hard time reading Anne Carson's The Beauty of the Husband. It had no voice that I particularly wanted to or perhaps was able to hear. However, my friends suggested I try Glass, Irony and God, particularly "The Glass Essay" and then circle back around. It was good advice. "The Glass Essay" is excellent. I'm ready to circle back around.

1 comment:

Maggie May said...

i love the title