Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Jury Voir Dire

THE COURT: Have you or a family member been the victim of a crime? Perhaps you or your family had to summon the police for assistance.
(Jurors indicate.)
THE COURT: All right. What happened?
PROSPECTIVE JUROR: A shooting. I shot at a member of the Ku Klux Klan in my living room. We've got our house fire bombed over it like a month after that.
THE COURT: Would that in any way affect your ability to be fair and impartial in this case?
PROSPECTIVE JUROR: Yeah, because I'm not much on the judicial systems.
THE COURT: Okay.
PROSPECTIVE JUROR: I have my own beliefs and I just kind of ...
My wife and I both were -- she was charged with aggravated assault with a firearm and I was charged with aggravated assault and the charges, in 30 days, were dismissed.
THE COURT: Okay. Can you set those aside?
PROSPECTIVE JUROR: Yes.

*

And he doesn't even live/teach in Texas...

6 comments:

Maggie May said...

what? what was this from? !!!

Charmi said...

Hi Maggie!

I'm a proofreader for court reporters. I read some interesting stuff.

Rachel said...

If anybody deserves to be shot at, it's a member of the Klan. Good to know this is representative of a "jury of my peers," just in case.

Charmi said...

But he doesn't want to serve on the jury. He's not quite sold on the system.

Talia Reed said...

Well, he's got to do his duty! Didn't they show him that motivatinal movie?

Charmi said...

I guess he's more of a do-it-yourselfer ;-)