Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Charles Street

I used to dream of a house that opened room into room into room. Or a yard full of wild tame animals -- turkeys, a lion, a bear. Our cat watches ghosts track across the ceiling, puts her head inside the toilet bowl and yowls. We ask her what she's thinking, but she never tells us who. All spring I sleep with my back against the moon, while my husband opens the curtains, positions me in its pool. He checks my breathing, covers my face with vines, my wild gray hair. He lifts my hand and drops it. I never move.

5 comments:

Mark said...

That was lovely.

Charmi said...

Thanks, Mark.

If you'd like to give this a try, DDL has this poetry exercise and others at: http://molestingtheclover.blogspot.com/

maeve63 said...

Wow! What a nice picture. I love the "covers my face with vines" very beautiful.

Talia Reed said...

I agree: good stuff. I've been meaning to write some poetry for some time now...maybe tomorrow night I'll give DDL's exercises a try.

Charmi said...

Thanks, gals. It's nice to be back in a writing class again.