Thursday, November 22, 2007

Red-Bellied Woodpecker


It was the usual crowd for Thanksgiving, except for this guy who showed up on the bird feeders after lunch. I was so pleased. He's never been to my house before! He didn't stay long, but maybe he'll come back. Look at that gorgeous head. Good thing I didn't bother to put away the binoculars or the bird books in my cleaning binge. Okay, yes, there were a lot of things I neglected to put away and/or clean. But see, it all worked out. What a nice day.

5 comments:

Neil Kelly said...

looks more like a red-headed woodpecker than a red-bellied.

Charmi said...

I don't name them. The naming is a very subtle thing.

Louise Mathias said...

He's beautiful Charmi-- I don't think we have those out here. Acorn Woodpeckers, Downy, Hairy, etc... but none of those. Lucky you.

Charmi said...

I know! I usually see the Downy and/or the Hairy (I'm not very good at telling the difference), but this is the first view of this guy. My nine-year-old nephew and I spent the rest of the afternoon looking through the bird books and doing web research. The books say he is common, but not to me.

Now I have to look up Acorn Woodpeckers.

Charmi said...

And he was back this morning!