Tuesday, July 24, 2012

We Are Waiting For Rain

As I drive through town
A man steps into the road

Between OC Liquor and
The Osceola Wearly Monument

Company, aiming for a
Row of mailboxes on

The south side of Lincolnway.

I might know him.

The gait seems familiar,
But the hair has gone blondish-

White, and, frankly, I can’t
Quite gather a name.

The pavement is dry.

His head is tilted
Towards the firmament.

No, no anvils.

We are waiting for rain.

He does not see me.

I lift my foot from the pedal
And let it hover while

He ambles curbside and
Turns his attention

To the U.S. Mail.

My foot finds
The accelerator and I travel

Across Baugo Creek,
Past the train trestle

To the stoplight that marks
The Saint Joseph/Elkhart

County line, where I skirt
The edge and go no further.

Jack White is singing on the radio.

I want love

I park the car at the end of my
Drive and turn the volume

Up one click.

The sky appears unmoved.

2 comments:

Chris Never said...

This is a very atmospheric piece, enjoyed it, enjoyed the waiting and expectancy it conveyed, nice write

regards

Chris

Charmi said...

Thank you. It's always nice when an unexpected guest pops onto the blog.