Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Jam Pot & The Skete

Summer can't pass away w/o a trip to
The Holy Transfiguration Skete.

Father Basil & his welcoming ways.
We talked berries, wolves, mountain lions & the weather.
Very fine.

And unlike my mother-in-law, they let me in the kitchen!
Father Sergius has 120 pounds of Lemon Poundcake batter here.
After it's baked, the loaves will soak in brandy.
I might have to come back tomorrow.

Father Ambrose & Father Sergius filling the pans.

Father Ephrem with the before and after of truffles.
He's not nearly as serious as this picture appears!
The filling on the left is ganache; on the right, the finished product,
dipped in white chocolate, then drizzled with dark chocolate.


Fortunately, I slipped in before this crowd.

Across the street at the monastery,
the flowers are all a'bloom
00

Thanks for letting me visit, guys!

1 comment:

Talia Reed said...

I recall you talking about these monks (they're monks, right?) but what sort of religion is it? There is probably only one religion that has monks, but see, I have no idea.

mmmm....lemon pound cake.

I must get me some of those yellow and red daylilies. I noticed the other day that my mom's neighbor has some...