Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Fulton Location

I wish somehow I could translate the scent of The Keweenaw here onto this page. It's impossible. I'm not a good enough writer. I'll just say all year long I dream of breathing this air.

The air, however, is not helping me write! I'm working on a poem, but I only have four good lines and the piece is 16 or so lines long.

Gene slipped birthday CDs into my bag before I left. Emmy Lou Harris & Cat Stevens. Time flies.

My cell phone works horribly in The Keweenaw, so Gene installed Skype on my computer so we could talk back and forth. I had to buy some headphones with a microphone, but it works great. We can call each other on the computer and it costs nothing, the sound is good... We've been hearing about it for years and finally took the plunge.

Jojo has spent two days learning about wolves & tracking in the classroom, but today she finally gets to go out in the woods. My sister-in-law told me there are two wolf dens on her road with several pups. Seems like we could have saved some dough and just sent Jo out to Aunt Pat's!

5 comments:

Mark said...

For the record, I so want to be doing what you're doing right now, instead of what I'm about to do, which is leaving for work. At least I have a promising weekend ahead! :)

I'm curious about that scent--is it more the scent of green growing things, or more (for lack of a better word) manure? I love that sweetgrass scent one gets in the deep summer, when there's just so much growing and, at the same, much decaying. The air just feels so thick and... right.

Charmi said...

Yeah, it's nice up here.

The Keweenaw is a little finger of land sticking out into Lake Superior, and so the scent is like all of that cold lake washing over pine and birch trees. It might be like the scent of green growing things, but not the mucky, manurey feel of Indiana growing things.

I'll post more pictures. Maybe that will help. I can only say the scent is Lake Superior blue.

Talia Reed said...

Did I miss your birthday?

Charmi said...

No. My b-day is this coming Sunday. We'll be driving home.

Talia Reed said...

;)