Saturday, February 02, 2008

Someone New?


We spotted this fellow yesterday and I was able to snap his (her?) picture today, but I don't know who it is! Can anyone help? It's much smaller than the red-bellied woodpecker, and much more tan than the hairy or downy woodpeckers. If you know, let me know!
Update - I've been looking through pics on the net. I think it's a yellow-bellied sapsucker (I've always wanted to have a real reason to say that.)
Update 2 - And she's not a fellow, she's a gal!

8 comments:

naoko fujimoto said...

The bird has a beautiful red hat!

Charmi said...

Yes, it's lovely. Bird feeding is so much fun!

Talia Reed said...

I heard a bird chirping this morning--spring must be soon because I don't have birds, I have cats, one of which is incredibly ferocious and loves to pounce on birdies.

Charmi said...

Spring is soon, I hope!

You can have cats and birds, I have both.

Rachel said...

Is it edible?

Charmi said...

It depends on what type of animal you are. Our hawk says oui.

Jennifer said...

yes, you have a yellow bellied sapsucker. I've always wanted to see one. It's name is awesome.

Charmi said...

I was at the hardware store today buying bird seed and the guy at the counter told me he gets a Northern Flicker on his suet. I'm jealous. I want a Northern Flicker!