Friday, February 01, 2008

Fiction

I'm turning back to fiction honing for awhile. I know a few of you are thinking along the same lines. So this is, hopefully, a little spur to encourage you to send out your fiction pieces for the next workshop. A few of you have promised, you know. Anyway, the first line of my new story I've stolen from a poem I've been working on, which seems to be going nowhere, but perhaps these images don't want to live inside a poem. At any rate, the faintest beginnings of something new:

"The sharpshooter stood beneath the black-wet branches of a wintering tree, leaning heavily on his cane."

So, come on, workshop is next Friday!! Send away.

9 comments:

Rachel said...

Here's my first line: "Tom decided he wanted to be the first person with primordial dwarfism to get a sex change; he simply preferred little girls' clothes to little boys'."

This is why I don't write fiction.

Jesus Moya said...

Here's some fiction for you.

"But he didn't leave it alone, and it fell off."

Charmi said...

I think you guys are going to be much better fiction writers than I am!

Eric said...

the "leaning heavily on his cane" makes it interesting. characters with canes are way hips these days. see House. but really, it drew my interest more than anything else, and look, you put it at the end of the sentence, where the most important parts traditionally go.

Charmi said...

Goodness, I'll have to get a cane! I didn't know. Next time my knee is bothering me I can just suddenly be hip!

I also never really thought about the most important pieces of info coming at the end of a sentence. That's also good to know.

Rachel said...

Dr. House is HOT. And yes, his cane has something to do with it.

Charmi said...

I guess I should occasionally turn on the TV.

Rachel said...

I should probably occasionally turn mine off.

Frode Barth-Winslow said...

If it doesn't have intentional line breaks, I don't know how to read it.