Sunday, March 14, 2010

Dan Hicks

At the ripe old age of 50, Gene finally had his life-long dream fulfilled this weekend. Dan Hicks and The Hot Licks came to Dowagiac, Michigan and performed at The Wood Fire Grill. Hicks has been around forever, but he's fairly kitschy. He describes his music variously from folksy-jazz to Caucasian hip hop. I'm not sure how I would describe it, but it's been a part of my life for the almost 25 years Gene & I have been married. Not a week goes by that this song isn't sung in our house: How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away.

Gene's life-long wait was worth it. The 68-year-old Hicks and The Hot Licks put on a great show. The band and backup singers, The Lickettes, accomplished jazz singers in their own rights, are not the originals, but they're certainly tight. If they come around again, we'll make it a twice-in-a-lifetime experience.

1 comment:

Gene said...

The best line of the night was when Dan said, "When I found out I was playing in Dowagiac, I almost pissed myself."